Written by John Kneski of the Kuźniewskis of Koziebrody, ©1997-2020
The 1540 church in Koziebrody may have looked similar to the church in Unieck (pictured above). They original structures were built 8 miles apart in the same architectural period. Although they are both from the 16th century, and were both rebuilt in the 1800s, the church in Unieck appears to have retained more of its 16th century characteristics, and matches the written description of St. Jakuba in Koziebrody quite closely. Research into the original structure at Koziebrody is ongoing.
A Detail from the "Mapa topograficzna Królestwa Kongresowego z roku 1839"
|This map shows the church and bellfry (No.1) built in 1540. A cross with a statue on it (No.2) is shown on front of the church, just to the left. The bell tower, separate from the church, according to the 1817 "vicarial visit" description, would be consistent with the arrangement at the church in Unieck (pictured above)
1839 Symbols Explained:
1. Wooden Church (the 1540 church made of larchwood)
2. Cross with religious fugure attached (crucifix)
3. Symbols for: a wooden Inn, a wooden inn, and a masonry inn
(if the dot in the middle of the third symbol is intentional)
4. Wooden cross
5. Wooden cross
6. Brick windmill
7. Cross with religious figure attached (with a small structure)
8. Cross with religious figure attached
9. Wooden cross
10. Masonry bridge
11. Main Roads
13. Local Roads
14. The Koziebrodski Estate (Rym Koziebrodki)
Note the "Rym Koziebrodki" notation on a 1836 map of Koziebrody. "Rym" is an abbreviation of "rymarstwo," a "saddlery" in English. This would make sense as the Koziebrodzki Family (the owners of Koziebrody) was know to have very fancy equestrian structures at their hunting lodge estate which burned down in 1963. "At the place where there was a wooden house on the (latter) Thun property (which burned down in August 1963), stood a palace, to which many guests were coming for diversion and hunting." Also note the tree lined path leading from the lodge to the village.