Posted by Tradytor, 05/06/2012 by Dr. George Borowski
Google translation cleaned up by jsk.

From the author:After the publication of that article on the "Tradytora" in January of that year, I received through Mr. T. Wieteska an email from Ms Christine Thun-Szretter to request corrections and additions to certain biographical facts on the Thun family members buried in this cemetery. I did it with pleasure, because Mr. Thun-Szretter gave me a lot of new interesting information on this family.
~ Dr. George Borowski

Entering the parish cemetery in Koziebrodach (commune of Raciąż, powiat Płoński), the main avenue, in the middle on the right side, points to a sizable tomb – the mausoleum of the owners of this place - the de Thun family. Who were they? Where did they come from?

The de Thun tomb in Koziebrody was made by the R.S. Lubowieckiego workshop in Warsaw, located at 68 Dzikiej Street (as inscribed on one of the elements of the monument). Buried here lies: John Emil de Thun age 74, died July 20th, 1896; his wife Zofia Jaroszewskich age 53, died April 20, 1876, and their sons, Vincent and Ignatius de Thun. In addition, the tomb is a cenotaph for Emma Alexandra Thun of Ostroróg and Wincent Jan, son of Ignatius, who was murdered by the Nazis…

The de Thun Family came to Poland in the early 19th century when Charles Ferdinand Thun Jeżewo settled at the estate and meadows (parish Radzymin, Płońsk, where he is buried). His son, John Emil (1821-1896), born in Warsaw, settled in Koziebrody at the Kodłutowo property. The Koziebrody estate bought from Stanislaus Turowski. Vincent de Thun (1852-1920), the first son of John Emil, was the owner of the inherited estate and property at Drozdowo Kodłutowo in the Raciąż district. He graduated from High School in Plock and studied at the Polytechnic Institute in Pulawy. He married Jadwiga Wisniewska. The Drozdowo properties were acquired in 1902 from the family Ossowski. The property consisted of 912 acres at the time. In 1901, he was elected Chairman of the newly formed Society of Mutual Credit in Raciaz. After 1903, he was a member of the Agricultural Society in Plock. In 1919 he was elected a delegate to the County Assembly district Plonski. In the same year he was a candidate for the Plock District Court jury. He was a municipal judge in Raciaz. Vincent had two daughters and two sons: John Stanislaw (1896-1948) and Thaddeus (1897-1974). John Stanislaus de Thun was the last owner of the Drozdowo estate, he was also a participant in the Polish-Bolshevik War. At the turn of 1939-1940, he was, with his wife and two children (Irene and Vincent John Stanislaus) expelled by the Germans from their property, and after the war moved to Gdansk, where he is buried.

Tadeusz de Thun, who later became the commander of the 1st Kodłutowa Brigade, a reserve officer in the Grochowski 2nd Cavalry Regiment, a member of Parliament of the fourth term of the Second Republic, and bearer of the orders Military Virtue, Polonia Restituta, and the Cross of Independence. He died in exile in London and is buried there. Ignatius de Thun (1858-1931), the second son of John Emil was the last gentry owner of Koziebródy. In 1901 he was elected a member of the newly founded Society of Mutual Credit Raciaz nearby and in 1903 belonged to the Agricultural Society of Plock (where he was chairman of the section of forestry and horticulture). In the same year he was elected as a shop steward at the Society of Agricultural Insurance "Beam." He was one of the founders of the Polish School society in Sierpc… Thanks to this “society,” Koziebrody was later well established. In 1904, he founded the Koziebrody agricultural society (one of the first in the Province of Plock, and he was the first Chairman of the Board)

On his initiative, in the village mercantile a cooperative was established with a local school teacher named Leon Sulkowski. Two schools (one of which had its own premises) and dugouts society (full circle dugouts States, an organization founded in 1905 -1907 (?). Its long-time president was Maria Kleniewska of Kluczkowic). During World War I, Ignatius de Thun became a member of the District Citizens' Committee in Sierpc (September 1914). He also entered the District Welfare Council and the Appeal Commission in Sierpc called “Save the Children.” In June of 1916, he was elected from the district of Plock to the District Assembly in Sierpc. As a member of the District Agricultural Society in Plock, he was appointed as a member of the “Fund Estimate,” which estimated losses suffered by agriculture as a result of the war. He was also a co-founder of the Scientific Society of the Department of Plock in Sierpc. Ignatius de Thun was married to Emma Alexandra of Ostroróg and had three sons, Vincent John, Andrew and Ignatius Vladimir. After his death, they were co-owners of the property in Koziebrody. The estates were administered by Vincent John, who lived with his mother, Emma of Ostroróg. Vincent John de Thun (1901-1940) son of Ignatius de Thun and Emma Alexandra graduated from the Gymnasium Wladyslaw Jagiello in Plock and he studied law at Warsaw University. He was a member of the Polish Military Organization (POW) in Plock and a participant in the Polish-Bolshevik War. At the turn of 1939-1940, the property was taken over by the Germans, and Vincent John was arrested and delivered in April 1940 to the concentration camp at Dachau. In May of that year, he was transferred to the quarries in the concentration camp Mautausen-Gusen, where he died on Christmas Eve, 1940. Emma Alexander de Thun, after the arrest of hes son, was expelled from the property and lived in a nearby Male Wies farmhouse, from which she was exported in 1940, to an unknown place, and was probably shot in the nearby woods, as part of the liquidation of the Polish gentry during the Third Reich.

Andrew de Thun (1902-1943) - the second of the sons of Ignatius de Thun and Emma Alexandra, also attended the secondary school Wladyslaw Jagiello in Plock. He was also a member and participant of POW in 1920. He was buried in Warsaw. Ignatius of Vladimir (1909-1993) - the third son Ignatius de Thun and Emma Alexandra, graduated from the secondary school Stanislaw Malachowski in Plock and the Graduate School of Economics in Warsaw. He took part in the September Campaign in 1939, in the 1st Regiment of the Legion of Jozef Pilsudski Light Artillery in Vilnius… He was awarded the Cross of Valour in 1939, and the Cross of the Army. He lived and worked in Warsaw (where he is buried). At his bequest, his grave was inscribed with the above mentioned information, with his mother and brother, and also had placed an epitaph in the local parish church of Sw. Jakuba. There also is an epitaph dedicated to Sophia Jaroszewskich Thun, the wife of John Emile de Thun. According to the family, John Emil and Sophia Jaroszewskich de Thun had a third son, who died as a child, but the place of burial is unknown.


Family Archive Mrs Christine Thun-Szretter.
Sierpc happening and Earth sierpecki, Sierpc 2003.
Official Journals Plonski County in 1919.
"Echoes of Płock and Lomza" 30 X 87, 1901, No. 36 of 1902, 3 V, No. 92, November 18, 1903
"Correspondent Plock" No. 18 of February 19 (March 2) 1880.
W. Smith, The history of Płock Scientific Society. Forgotten branch / W ;/ "Notaki Płockie", No. 4 of 1977
"Plock Courier", No. 116 of 1920
Our fight for Polish school 1901-1907, Warsaw 1932.
M. Przedpełski, Education in the district Sierpc fifteenth to the twentieth century / W :/ "Year Mazowiecki", T. 4, Warsaw 1972.
Geographical Dictionary of the Kingdom of Polish and other Slavic countries, T.4, Warsaw 1883.
Report on the activities of the Agricultural Society for 1903 years Plock, Plock 1904.
T. Lay, Fr. Wybult, Mazovia Płock during World War II and the establishment of the Polish state, Plock-Toruń 1932.